Change of Address Checklist
Moving to a new home can be an exciting but stressful experience, especially when it comes to managing all the necessary tasks involved in the moving process. Moving can be overwhelming, but one of the most important tasks to not forget is notifying everyone of your change of address.
It’s crucial to make sure your mail and packages get delivered to the right place and to avoid missing any important bills or communications from businesses, family, or friends. To help you stay organized and on top of things, Heroes Moving and Storage have put together a comprehensive change of address checklist for you. A moving change of address checklist can be just what you need to complete your move. Our Richmond movers offer more than just moving your belongings. We offer packing services as well as storage units and take pride in following a move all the way through, even if that means giving you the information you need to officially change your address.
The Importance of Updating Your Address
Changing your address is a critical step that must be taken once you move to a new home. It’s essential to notify your contacts of your new address, as this will ensure that your mail and packages get delivered to the correct address. There are many entities that you need to inform of your change of address, including the post office, your bank, insurance providers, and any subscription services you may use, such as Netflix. Failing to inform these entities of your new address can lead to missed bills or payments, which can lead to additional fees or even legal trouble.
Though a relatively simple and straightforward process, changing your address can be done in a variety of ways. Our movers in Midlothian, VA, suggest that the easiest way to change your address is to visit your local post office or complete an online change of address form. Once you’ve notified the post office, they will forward your mail to your new address for a period of time, giving you ample time to inform other entities of your new address.
Our Richmond residential movers want this process to be as smooth as possible for you, and our change of address checklist is sure to help you.
Here are some tips that we can give you when you are moving and need to change your address:
- Do a USPS (United States Post Office) change of address. Though you will be charged a $1.10 fee, you will also receive a welcome kit at your new address. This welcome kit will contain valuable coupons you will likely need after you have moved.1
- Do a DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) change of address. In the state of Virginia, you only have 30 days to change the address on your license or ID card, or you might be subject to penalties.2
- Change your address with your banks and any credit card companies you have accounts with. You want to ensure that your mail is forwarded to your new address to avoid not receiving your bill and possibly missing a payment or paying your bill late.
- Subscription services may need your new address for billing. This includes Netflix (or any other streaming services), Amazon, or any company you have a subscription with.
- Inform your employer of your new address. They will want to have your proper contact information on file in the event of an emergency and for the purposes of updating a W-2 or 1099 with the IRS (Internal Revenue Service.)
- We get it. Life happens. Consider letting someone else, like your spouse or partner, do the online form for you. It’s easy enough to let someone else take care of these notifications, or you can pay for a service to take care of these tasks.
- Don’t forget to change the address on items you have printed, such as your checks or return address labels. Most importantly, remember to update your pet’s collar.
Mistakes to Avoid When Updating Your Address
Updating your address is a simple process that is pivotal to your moving process. You can easily make a change of address online. Many tend to put off this task because it seems like a headache or a great amount of work. But once you get all of the address change notifications done, you will feel better, and your move will feel officially complete.
Here are some common mistakes to avoid when updating your address for a move:
- Waiting too long to file it.
- Not notifying the post office.
- Not including everyone in the household’s name on the form(s).
- Forgetting to tell family and friends.
- Sending currently purchased packages to your former address.
Change of Address Checklist for Moving
You need to look at a checklist for a change of address for moving house because many institutions and businesses need to know your address so they can send you necessary documents or know important tax information. The most important places that need to know that you have changed your address include:
- The U.S. Postal Service
- Tax agencies
- Social security administration
- Department of motor vehicles
- Gas and electric company
- Phone, cable, and internet providers
- Homeowner’s and renter’s insurance
- The bank/credit card company
- Loan providers
- Insurance providers
- Financial agencies
- Magazines and subscription services
- Online shopping sites
- Business associates
- Clubs/associations you are a part of
- Individual service providers
- Friends and family
Business Change of Address Checklist
Much like families and couples, businesses change addresses quite frequently. Companies could be known to change addresses and locations more frequently than families because of how they are set up. While the process is incredibly similar, a checklist for business that are moving include the following:
- Updating contact information for your clients, customers, and suppliers
- Inform the IRS and other essential government agencies
- Update legal documents like licenses and permits
- Update banking and financial institutions – including your credit card companies and
- Update Utilities and Service Providers
- Update Insurance Providers
- Update Online Presence – Including address on a website, social media profiles, and online business listings
- Update marketing materials – Update brochures, flyers, advertisements, and other marketing materials
- Update employee records
- Redirect mail and packages
Move In With Heroes Moving & Storage Today!
Overall, changing your address may seem like a small task, but it is one that should not be overlooked. Notifying the post office and other service providers of your new address will ensure that you continue to receive mail and bills on time and avoid any potential legal issues. Our change of address checklist for moving can help set you up for success.
If you are looking for more tips like the change address checklist, be sure to check out our blogs. In them, our experts offer much more insight into the moving world. Who better can you trust other than our Chesterfield, VA, movers?
Click through our website or call us today for a free estimate. A member of our team would be more than happy to assist you. From piano movers to storage solutions, our Richmond movers have got you covered. We look forward to hearing from you.
1 – USPS – Standard Forward Mail & Change of Address
2 – Virginia.Gov – Moving Within Virginia