15 Items That Require Climate Controlled Storage
If you are moving and need storage to fill the gaps, make sure the storage you’re offered is climate controlled. This type of storage is best for storing certain types of items, plus it’s great if you need to store items in climates of extreme humidity, cold or heat. Here in Virginia, we get all those weather extremes and more.
Lots can happen to your stuff while in storage. With the presence of moisture, mold can develop. Pests are another common concern. Here’s what to know about climate controlled storage and the items that require it.
Items That Need Climate Control
Most any item will benefit from being in climate control storage, but the ones that truly need it are:
- Furniture (particularly that made of wood, metal, leather, wicker or upholstery)
- Media (vinyl albums, DVDs, videos, etc.)
- Clothing (especially that made of lace or leather, or if you plan to store clothing in bags)
- Important documents and paperwork
- Musical instruments
- Collectibles (comic books, stamps, coins, etc.)
- Medical supplies and medications
- Household appliances
- Makeup and toiletries
- Sports equipment, particularly bicycles with leather seats
All of the above items react with moisture in a certain way, which can compromise their integrity. For instance, wood can warp, crack, or rot from moisture exposure, while leather gets discolored and can become a breeding ground for mildew and mold. Electronics can rust or crack, and paper items will disintegrate and written words can become illegible.
Why Else Should You Rent a Climate Controlled Storage Unit?
There are other reasons why you would need to choose climate controlled storage.
- If you plan to store the items for the long term, at least several months, the temperature outside will vary widely during that time. You can’t assume that just because you initially placed your items in storage during the fall when it was mild and cool, that those conditions will be present when you take your items out of storage. If you don’t remove those items for a year, that means that have undergone extreme temperature changes from winter to summer.
- If you live in a climate that is prone to high heat or humidity, you will need to prevent moisture from getting into the unit and infiltrating your stuff. Virginia in summer represents both high heat and high humidity, so it’s wise to choose climate controlled storage in this area.
- If you are storing valuables such as collectibles and antiques, or anything that’s irreplaceable, you should place them in a climate controlled unit. This includes anything that’s part of a collection, or anything holding sentimental or monetary value.
Contact Heroes Moving and Storage
Contact us at 804-409-0429 for a free quote on climate-controlled storage as part of your move in and around Richmond VA.